Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Global Meltdown?

Yesterday the FED cut interest rates 3 quarter basis points or 0.75%, 5 minutes later we see news flying around with the tag lines “global meltdown”. People went on saying this is it. Since we are symbians with the US, we saw our local stock markets indexes suffer. As they say when America sneezes the whole world catches a cold. Well, I think it’s so over-rated, I could not accept that some guys at Wall Street want speculate to make a buck. We normal folks will suffer the ill effects. I mean commodities like oil or gold won’t reach that high if people wouldn’t speculate. For those not familiar what speculating is that’s like forecasting how a certain commodity is worth depending on current circumstances, so if they say oil will reach $100 per barrel because supply is in demand due to winter that’s speculating. So some would ask me how does the stock and commodity market work. Well I tell you it’s a lot of speculating, you may have facts or fundamentals to back it up. But I still say speculation is the main game. Going back to the meltdown issue, like what Donald Trump said on Larry King this afternoon, the main obstacle why the US is suffering it’s because oil is to high, to quote what he said “the Whitehouse guys can make this go away with just a phone call, if they’d just call those oil providers they can make the prices go down. “ I think the guy is right, what’s happening now is just plain old mismanagement. And all the media hype ain’t helping either, it’s making people jittery. The line itself “global meltdown” sounds like a Hollywood movie wherein aliens are trying to blow up the whole planet with their intergalactic ray gun. For me if I have loads of cash this will be the best time to invest since markets are down prices are low. Like if you’re shopping don’t you go bargain hunting, am I right? So like shopping investing is like bargain hunting too. Like that FED cut it shouldn’t be considered a bad thing; look at the bright side if you buy a car right now you’ll pay less since rates were lowered. We hear the word “fear” all over the news, countries going paranoid this and that, because the US is in recession. It sounds so ironic because most of these countries would say they are independent, and nationalistic. But fearing US is in recession sounds like dependency to me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Fragmentadora de Papel, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://fragmentadora-de-papel.blogspot.com. A hug.

mackyboy said...

To Fragmentadora thank for enjoying what I wrote.